Human Resources Committee
Wednesday 13 September 2006
A meeting of the Human Resources Committee, which you are requested to attend, will be held on Wednesday 13 September 2006 at 10:00hrs in the Conference Room, Devon and Cornwall Police Authority, Endeavour House, Woodwater Park, Exeter, to consider the items as detailed on the Agenda given below.
Any papers listed as "to follow", urgent items or supplementary papers will be made available as soon as possible and in any event at least 30 minutes before the start of the meeting.
S G Davey
Chief Executive & Clerk
To The Police Authority
- Apologies for Absence
To receive apologies for absence from Members unable to attend the meeting.
- Declarations of Interests
To receive any declarations from Members / Officers of personal and / or prejudicial interests in respect of matters for consideration at this meeting, together with the appropriate statement on the nature of any such declared interests.
To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 21 June 2006.
- HMIC Report of Training Best Value Review
The report will give on the implementation of Her Majesty's Inspector of Constabulary (HMIC) recommendations.
- Appendix A - Best Value Review of Police Training Police Authority Update
- Training College Refurbishment
The refurbishment of the training college, located at Middlemoor, is being undertaken in order to create a facility fit to meet the needs of policing in the 21st century. There is however another challenge as the number of training venues elsewhere in the force is decreasing. This report outline the issues regarding the accommodation needs for learning and development purposes.
- Appendix A - Training College Refurbishment Classroom Provision
- Appendix B - Force Wide Training Venues
- Appendix C - Training College Room Usage
- Multi Agency Training Regarding Children's Safeguarding
The report will outline the current learning and development opportunities regarding the "Every Child Matters" initiative. To follow
- Staff Survey Regarding Learning and Development
A staff survey has been undertaken, in line with HMIC recommendations, and the report will outline the survey results. To follow
- HMIC Baseline Assessment
This report will provide an update on the 6 outstanding actions. To follow
- HR functions and Future Plans
The Head of Human Resources will provide an oral update.
- Force Development Programme - an HR Overview
The purpose of this report is to provide, further to a request from the Police Authority, an overview of the HR programme of work in support of the change programme.
- Police Authority Race Equality Scheme Update
The report provides an update on activities that have been undertaken in association with the Race Equality Scheme.
- Force Race Equality Impact Assessment
The Force has introduced a programme of race impact assessments through departmental members of the Equality and Diversity Action Group. This report explains the process that ahs been adopted.
- Long Term Sickness Profile
The report provides a summary of long term (in excess of 100 days) sickness information.
- Application Procedure for Officers Retiring and Re-appointed as Police Staff
This report provides information, requested by the Committee at a previous meeting, regarding police officers who retire and are then employed as Police Staff.
- Exit Interview Findings
The report will provide information obtained from exit interviews.
- A New Job and Grading Review for Devon & Cornwall Police Staff
The report sets out the principles for a new job and grading review for Devon & Cornwall police staff.
- Police Staff Numbers
The report provides details of the current Police Staff strength by BCU/Department and the numbers within each grade, together with an update on the current situation within each department in terms of workforce growth/down-sizing
- Key Worker Housing
The report will provide an update on the impact that the availability and affordability of housing accommodation has on the recruitment and deployment of Police Officers and Police Staff. To follow
- Recruitment of Police Community Support Officers
This oral report will provide an update on the current recruitment campaigns for Police Community Support Officers. The Head of Human Resources will provide an oral update.
- Closed Items (Items which may be considered by the Committee with only members of the Police Authority, appropriate Officers and expert advisors present, on the grounds that exempt / confidential information may be disclosed)Consideration to Excluding the Press and Public
Recommended that the Agenda items detailed in the table below be considered as closed items
|Agenda item No
||Age Discrimination and Annual Leave
||Freedom Of Information Act 2000
||S 22 information intended for future publication
- Age Discrimination and Annual Leave
Under the Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006 (effective from 1 October 2006) benefits based on length of service may amount to indirect discrimination as some age groups are more likely to have the necessary length of service than others. This report outlines a possible solution to issues that may arise.
Members of the HR Committee: Sir Simon Day, O Dendy, I Doggett, S Malloni, D Money, C Ryan, J Smith, A Talbot, C Wallin.
If you require any further information regarding this meeting please contact:
Joy Norris email: email@example.com