The Standards Committee is made up of the following Members -
- David Money
- Vivien Pengelly
- Martin Harvey (Independent Member) - (Chairman)
- Anne Mayes (Independent Member) - (Vice-Chairman)
- Number of Members: 6
- Number of Scheduled Meetings: 2 per year
- Open to the Press and Public: Yes
- Decision Making: Yes
- Lead Officer:Assistant Chief Executive
- Purpose / Scope:Is to promote the highest standards of behaviour from members of the Authority
- at least 25% of the Members of this Committee must be independent of the Authority
- the Committee must be chaired by an Independent appointee
Terms of Reference
- The promotion and maintenance of high standards of conduct by all members of the Authority
- To make recommendations to the Authority on a code of conduct.
- To monitor the effectiveness of the Authority's code of conduct for members and advise the Authority about the operation of its Code of Conduct for Members in the light of best practice, changes to the law, and guidance from the Standards Board for England. (Local Government Act 2000 S54 (2))
- To ensure that all Members have access to training in all aspects of the Authority's Code of Conduct for members and that this training is actively promoted (Local Government Act 2000 S54(2))
- The determination of complaints about the conduct of members including cases referred by Ethical Standards Officers. (Statutory Instrument 2004 No 2617 The Local Authorities (Code of Conduct) (Local Determination) (Amendment) Regulations 2004.
- The granting of dispensations to Members from requirements relating to prejudicial interests as set out in Part 2 of the Authority's Code of Conduct for Members. (Statutory Instrument 2002 No 339 The Relevant Authorities (Standards Committee (Dispensations) Regulations 2002)
- The consideration and determination of appeals for information requested in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
Composition of the Committee
(minute P1030 Police Authority 03 .06.05)
The Standards Committee will only be quorate if at least 3 members of the Standards Committee are present for the whole of the meeting ? including at least one of the independently appointed members to the Standards Committee." (Statutory Instrument 2001 No 2812 S6)
(Minute P1145 Police Authority 05.05.06)
That the composition of the Standards Committee be 7 people; and
that the 7 members comprise 3 Independent Members and 4 Members of the Police Authority, which will include at least 1 person from each of the membership groups represented on the Authority.
Archive of Committee Papers and Reports